Alberta Milk continues to be an awesome YESS partner, donating $6000 this year! Being able to provide healthy and nutritious food for our youth not only fulfills a basic need, it also helps build trust and develop a sense of safety youth feel in our programs.
Alberta Milk is a non-profit organization that represents Alberta’s dairy producers. They support family-owned and operated dairy farms in their work to produce safe, nutritious food in an economically, socially, and environmentally sustainable way.
Get a serving of dairy and follow along with Program Kitchen Coordinator and YESS Chef Tiffany Sorensen to upgrade a box of mac and cheese! Tiffany has been making instructional cooking videos that feature common ingredients or items from emergency food hampers to share with youth who are learning to cook.
For more recipes with Alberta Milk visit albertamilk.com.
Upgraded Mac and Cheese
Box of mac and cheese
Protein of choice
1 tbsp garlic, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1-2 tbsp flour
¾ cup of milk
Herbs (such as thyme or sage)
Kale or spinach
Salt and pepper
Grana Padano or parmesan
1. Add salt to boiling water, then add the pasta. Cook for approximately 8 minutes until al dente.
2. Strain noodles and set aside. Save ¼-1/2 cup of pasta water for sauce later.
3. Warm up a pan, add 1 tbsp of oil and cook protein of choice on low-medium heat to render the fat without burning. Once cooked, set protein aside to be added later.
4. In the same pan, saute onions on low-medium heat.
5. Add 1 tbsp of garlic and saute with onions.
6. Add butter to the pan and melt. Add flour and cook on low to prevent burning. Flour should be golden.
7. Incorporate milk while stirring. Simmer to thicken.
8. Add herbs, cheese packet (about ¼ of package that came in the mac and cheese box), cooked protein, pasta water, kale/spinach, and cooked pasta. Season with salt and pepper—be mindful that the cheese packet also has salt and taste as you go.
9. Finish with Grana Padano or cheese of choice.
Post a comment