The Organic Box provides hundreds of dollars’ worth of produce to our kitchens every week. They have also shared their passion for helping our youth with their Food Family initiative, which leads to donations of almost $13,000 annually.
Oven-Roasted Root Crops with Chicken
- 8 ounces brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
- 8 ounces potatoes, unpeeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 8 ounces romanesco broccoli, trimmed to similar pieces
- 6 shallots, peeled and halved lengthwise
- 4 medium carrots, peeled and cut into 2-inch lengths, thick ends halved lengthwise
- 6 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 4 tsp minced fresh thyme or 1 1/2 tsp dried, divided
- 2 tsp minced fresh rosemary or 3/4 tsp dried
- 1 tsp sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tbsp unsalted butter, melted
- 2.5-3 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position and preheat oven to 475 degrees. Toss brussels sprouts, potatoes, shallots, carrots, garlic, oil, 2 tsp fresh thyme, 1 tsp fresh rosemary, sugar, 3/4 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp pepper together in a large mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl stir together melted butter, remaining 2 tsp fresh thyme, remaining 1 tsp fresh rosemary, 1/4 tsp salt and 1/8 tsp pepper. Pat chicken dry with paper towels and season with salt and pepper.
- Place vegetables in a single layer on an 18 by 13-inch baking sheet, arranging brussels sprouts in the center. Place chicken, skin side up, on top of vegetables, arranging thighs around the perimeter of the sheet.
- Brush chicken with herb butter. Roast until thighs register 175 degrees, 35-40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through roasting.
- Remove sheet from oven, tent loosely with aluminum foil and let rest 5 minutes. Transfer chicken to platter or plates. Toss vegetables with pan juices, season with salt and pepper to taste and transfer to platter or plates and serve warm.