The Organic Box provides hundreds of dollars’ worth of produce to our kitchens every week. They have also shared their passion for helping our youth with their Food Family initiative, which has led to donations of over $13,000.
Winter Vegetable Strata
Adapted from The Kitchen Paper (thekitchenpaper.com)
1 large butternut squash, peeled and cubed (1″)
1 tsp olive oil
salt and pepper
2 tbsp butter
1/2 cup shallots, minced
2 bunches kale, chopped (2 cups)
8 cups crusty bread, cubed (1″)
1 tbsp grainy mustard
1 tbsp fresh thyme
2 cups half & Half cream
1 Cup gruyere, shredded
2/3 cup hazelnuts, chopped, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425. Toss butternut squash with olive oil and salt and pepper and roast on a baking sheet until fork-tender (20ish minutes).
- In a heavy-bottom skillet, melt the butter and add the shallots. Cook for 2 minutes. Add the kale and cook until wilted. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Whisk together mustard, thyme, eggs, and 1/2/ & 1/2. Set aside.
- Arrange the bread, squash, kale mixture and cheese in layers in the skillet, reserving a handful of cheese for topping.
- Pour the egg mixture over everything in the pan. Let the bread absorb the eggs for a few minutes (up to an hour in the fridge).
- Reduce the oven to 350. Cook the strata for 45-55 minutes, or until the center is no longer wobbly. Add the reserved cheese and broil for a minute to crisp everything up.
- Let cool for a few minutes, top with hazelnuts and serve.
Post a comment